Bounce Bounce Ouch!


D loves his trampoline.    When I say his, its is both of the boys piece of kit, but D is the one who always wants to spend hours out there, preferably with his Dad.

In the three years he has had the trampoline, he has had various bums, and plenty of tears shed, but never any major injuries.        For an accident prone boy such as D, I think that is a major achievement.

The local council has been running various children’s activities over the summer holidays, and there has been an extensive programme of activities for children, and young adults with additional needs.     When I first received the leaflet about the activities, both boys went through it, and were keen on several things.       We had to work out which ones we were free to attend out of the ones they really wanted to do.       Luckily they were keen on the same things and we dully booked the activities, including water fun at the amazing Aberdeen Aquatic Centre, and trampolining at the Sports Village.

The swimming was a brilliant afternoon.      Both Hubby and I went into the pool with them, and there were a lot of short activities for all the kids to take part in.    The best part for M was the pool floor had been raised to just 1m, so he was able to put his feet down at any point – this gave him amazing confidence that showed in his brilliant swimming.

Yesterday was the trampolining.     Both boys were so excited at being shown how to jump properly.      When they saw the massive trampolines they would be using, I think they were both a little shocked, as they think their 10ft one is pretty big!       They were getting a little restless by the time everyone was organised, but when they were split into groups – basically the smaller kids, and the bigger ones, both of mine being in the group of 5 bigger ones.        They climbed the massive stairs and took their seat on the padding at the end.      The instructor went through basic safety instructions, before she let anyone bounce.       They had to take turns, and all the kids waited really well.   M was up first, and given a series of jump instructions, to get him to bounce and turn himself to face the opposite direction.      D was up next, followed by the other kids, all trying the first set of jumps.       Then it was M’s turn again and this time he had to try lifting his legs to the side – basically the splits in mid-air, and touching his toes.    After a couple of attempts, he got it, and the pride oozed from him.   Everyone else then got to do this, some achieving it better than others.       After a few other skills being practised came the feet -bum-feet .      Something both boys love doing at home.        They were told how their hands should be down behind them to help with balance and bounce.       M did well.    It was then D’s turn.       He did the first few bounces perfectly, and then he seemed to bounce forward, and his arm went under him.     Instant tears.       Having stayed with them to watch, I just removed him to a side bench.     He was sobbing his heart out, clutching his arm, saying it hurt from wrist to elbow.       The instructor came over, and checked he could wiggle his fingers, and there was no obvious fracture.    She told him to sit at the side.   He continued to sob and say it hurt.    There was then a recess for a drink and a snack, and despite getting him a chocolate muffin, he just wasn’t interested, and seemed to be sniffling sobs.      We told him, we would give him a little while, and see if it settled – I think I thought he had maybe twisted his wrist, and that can really hurt until the bruise starts to appear.     We returned to the sports hall, and it was races for the next session.   M went to join in, but D just sat at the side, still upset, not wanting to be a part of it.     It was now an hour since he had hurt himself, and the tears were still coming – very out of character for him, so I decided it needed to be checked out – I think I was concerned that with his hypermobility, he may have dislocated something.   I told the organiser what we were doing, and she said we need to fill in an accident report on our way out.         As we headed to the exit, we spoke with the duty manager, who pulled D’s arm about, changing the sobs, back to full on tears.     She gave him an ice pack, and said she thought it was just a bang and nothing more.    I told her we would be going to the hospital because the way he was reacting wasnt normal.

We headed to the hospital, and were seen pretty quickly.    He was given painkillers, and then a lovely doctor came to talk to him.      She was really gentle with him, and he copied all the actions she asked of him, with the exception of turning it, it was just too painful for him.       We were sent to x-ray, where we seemed to wait for ages.        D is no novice at having x-rays, because of the amount he has had for his knees, but he really did not enjoy having to hold his arm in an uncomfortable position.        He was very brave and managed to hold still for long enough.       We then had to wait to see the doctor again.       She said it was just as she had expected, and he had broken his radius, just below the elbow – at the point he had said was really sore when touched.      The poor boy.   No wonder he had been in tears.       She talked him through all the dos and donts and said he would be plastered, and would be seen again next week to check it was mending.        In the plaster room, there was a trainee, who was being supervised.    He chose to have a red plaster, because it would be the right colour for the football.      Unfortunately the cast didn’t want to set, and had to be removed and redone.    He was so good though, and the nurse had a brilliant rapport that put D totally at ease.      Because of where the break is, he is plastered the whole arm, in a bent position.       He was given a foam sling, just to help support the weight of the cast.    He was told he would be in it for about 3 weeks, so he is quite happy that it means he will get out of gym the first week back to school!!!  When he was asked if there were any questions before he was set free, he asked if he could see his x-ray.   He was taken up to the nurses station and the pictures were put on-screen for him.     The nurse talked his through the names of all the bones and what he had done – he was taking it all in!     On the way out, we made an appointment for a check up next week.

I was so impressed with how well he coped with such a horrible situation.      He was upset because of the pain, but calm enough to listen to what he was being told had happened and would happen.      He was a very brave child.      M was also brilliant, having to hang around waiting for his brother was hard for him, but he was worried about him, and kept asking if he was alright.

At bedtime we had cuddly buds in strategic positions to rest his arm on.    He was restless, trying to find a comfortable spot, but once he had it, he slept quite well.

This morning he seemed grumpy.    When asked how he was, his response was classic, “How do you think I am, I have a broken arm!!!!”     It is hard not to laugh when things like that come out of his mouth.

I have since received a phone call to say his x-rays have been reviewed and the orthopedic consultant will see him next week, because of his history of joint problems.     I am hoping that’s just a case of better to be safe than sorry.

I suppose we are lucky it has happened at this end of the school holidays, rather than at the beginning.     With just over a week left, I think we have done most of the things we had intended doing, so he isn’t going to be too disappointed with things he can’t do.       For now though, we just have to keep him comfortable and as happy as he can be.

I think the biggest irony of this whole situation is that the hours he has spent messing about on the trampoline and had nothing more than a few knocks, but within half an hour of being coached, he has a broken arm!!!!



4 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s