Pins be gone!


A year ago, D was in hospital, having pins put into both of his knees, to correct his bandiness –,,

The difference they made was amazing. At his check-ups, seeing the x-rays was incredible, when each set were placed next to each other, it was easy to see how the bones were straightening. His consultant was happy with the progress, and decided the time was right to remove them. D was really pleased to hear this. In his head, he had made up his mind they were ready to come out, and so I think if the decision hadn’t of been made, he would have got very upset.

Monday was the day for the op. He was over the moon when the appointment letter arrived, and seemed very accepting about the idea of going back to the hospital. He was almost too accepting, but the time was perfect, after our break away, and giving him plenty of time to recover before the summer.

At the weekend, he starting to become withdrawn, and eventually said that he was scared. It was horrible to hear him say those words, but it was also a great comfort that he was able to express how he was feeling. We talked about what was likely to happen, and the fact that when they were put in, he was told that the removal was a much easier recovery. Being told this, didn’t really help, as his only point of reference about hospitals was the pain he was in after the first operation.

Monday, we had to be at the hospital for 8am. We were of course early – there was no stopping D wanting to go, once he was dressed. We went to the ward, and then the paperwork started. Luckily D took his tablet, as I answered the same questions to each person that came to the bed. Then the bombshell that shook him a little, it was a different surgeon! It threw him a little, but he kept focused.

He was second on the list, and went down to theatre just after 10am, with his favourite teddy – Willie Bear, firmly in hand. Despite having the cream on his hands that is meant to make his veins more visible, they went into hiding and so they were unable to fit a cannulae before he went into theatre. They therefore gave him the gas, while he was trying to find Wally in a book they gave him to distract him. It was quite interesting to watch the drugs get into his system. He was looking at the book, and then his eyes slammed shut and his hand fell. I was then ushered away as he was wheeled into theatre.

Just over an hour later, I was taken down to collect him from recovery. He was snoring his head off when I got there. He was taken back up to the ward, and soon he woke up. He was dopey for a while, but soon wanting to sit up. He was quite happy, and desperate to look at his bandages. The nurse got him some toast and apple juice to get him going. He was told as soon as he was feeling able he could get out of bed. He was a little nervous, but decided he needed to go for it. Once his feet hit the floor, he was off. It was amazing to see his determination as he waddled around the ward. He was allowed to take a walk to the play area just outside the ward, while the nurse arranged his release. The surgeon came to see him, and presented him with one of the plates that had been in his leg, as well as a good behaviour award certificate. He says he will take the plate into school for a gross show and tell!

We were home by mid-afternoon.

I was so proud of the way D behaved. He coped really well with a very stressful day. He was extremely groggy through the rest of the day, as the drugs worked their way through his system. He insisted he wasn’t tired, but was sound asleep within minutes of getting into bed, something that happens so rarely that it warrants mentioning!!!

He stayed home from school the next day because we thought he needed to get his head back on an even keel, not just from the fuzzy head the drugs caused but from the emotional journey he has been on. He was quiet and cuddly through the day, but wasn’t in pain, and that is the important thing.

Next week he has to go to the local surgery to have his dressings changed – I am just hoping they are healing well, as one of his stitches went mouldy after the original operation, and he ended up with quite a scar. He then has to see the consultant in 4 months to check his progress. It will then be reviewed a couple of times of year to make sure his legs continue to grow straight. If they start to look like they are bending the wrong way again he may have to have them repined – I am just hoping this doesn’t happen as the stress it will cause him will be on a par of the pain he will be in after the operation.


9 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s